Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Boys always want to play in the mud

It's getting late for me but I sit here at this keyboard with some thoughts to share. It is quiet except for my refrigerator and the yelling (nightly occurrence) from another apartment. I can't explain it but maybe that is their idea of love, one they got from TV or just following in their parents footsteps. Maybe they have just not yet grown up.

I drove west today in hopes of getting a good photo and did see somethings and did snap a few and will have to look at the photos in more detail tomorrow. I was very close to stuck as a gravel road I was on turned to a path. At that point I new it was minimum maintenance but I had traveled almost a mile on it. Then, when I get to the point where I could almost spit to the next crossroad, there is a mud hole. So should I back up till I can find a spot to turn around or test the quality of my four wheel drive. I rolled slowly forward into it to test a bottom and backed out. Then I went a little deeper and backed out. Now, if it has a good gravel bottom, I should be alright. One more time I entered the mud hole but this time far enough to get the back tires wet.

Suddenly it was almost as though the mud took over pulling (actually sliding) the front end to the left into another rut left by another brave or stupid soul. It is now time to back out and stay out and travel that mile back to safety but wait, 4 wheel drive reverse clutch out and gun the engine and the front end wants to slide more to the left so I go forward about a foot then back about a foot and so on.

At this point I know I can't make it through going forward and am having grave doubts about getting out by going backwards. I wonder how close someone would be that could help me and how dumb they would think I am. Again a little forward and a little back but this time I felt the rear tire finally start to grab something and suddenly I was out. To close for comfort and to far from fun.

The yelling from the other apartment stopped without anything sounding like tears and the refrigerator still runs on. Maybe tomorrow I will need to clean the truck as the mud flew everywhere. Beautiful day to be alive.........

No comments:

Post a Comment