Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thankful Complacent Mediocrity

Complacent = self-satisfied.
Mediocrity = mediocre ability or accomplishment.
Work ethic = a dedication to work, or belief in the moral value of hard work

This is the world I live in. A world I helped create. I see it everywhere. I hear it in the words we speak, in our actions and ideas, what we wear, what we watch and listen to, and where we work. I feel it in my heart.

Where is our fire and drive? Where is the desire for perfection? It's certainly not in our work ethic. Dedication and moral value, did we have it and then loose it? Look back at the days of fire and excitement on the job. Look back at the day when we began. Think of all those dreams. Is it reality that sets in as the days turn into years or loss of satisfaction at the perception of a dead end life we lead or the feeling we have been constantly lied to or that the carrot hanging from the stick has been just out of reach for to long.

Maybe mediocrity was always there and we in our excitement felt like we had more than that. Maybe we are supposed to feel as though we are a success. Maybe the people in authority want us to feel successful with 2 baths and 4 bedrooms and 2 cars even as the debt reaches way to high. Maybe we are to accept where we are and not complain. Maybe mediocrity is the new standard of success and that way I can go to work tomorrow and, even though I am not really needed, pretend I am a success. We go so fast we don't see what is around us. We want when we don't need and complain when we don't have.

As I sit here tonight I hope all are as fortunate as I am, my stomach is full and I am warm. I have at least one friend who thinks about me. I have a job and transportation. I will be warm as I sleep and have clean clothes to wear in the morning after my shower. I have health and safety. For now I will be thankful. For now I will be thankful for self satisfied mediocre accomplishments.

When will I be able to look past my mediocrity, my thankful complacent mediocrity...........

No comments:

Post a Comment